|“||For Queen and country!||”|
The Trident-class battleship, known in-game as the Trident Battleship, is one of the two capital ships used by the Allies. It uses its naval guns for long-range bombardment, especially against enemy vehicles.
Trident Battleships are a product of the old doctrine that existed in the United Kingdom for nearly an entire century, called the "two-power standard" - the Royal Navy had to be stronger than the other two strongest naval fleets on Earth combined. With their cooperation with the French, in a potential conflict the British had to secure the Atlantic, North Sea and the English Channel, while the French had to secure the Mediterranean Sea. As a result of that, even after the First Great War, the British and the French were still expanding their naval fleets to a gigantic size with multiple Heavy Cruisers that were ready just before the Second Great War. Relatively, their number was so big, that these sometimes even 40-year-old vessels were still in active use during the final stages of the Second Great War.
After the Soviets were defeated for the first time, the number of them was so large that it was easier to modernize, rather than scrap them and reconstruct the navy with the Enterprise Aircraft Carriers like the Americans initially did. Instead, the cannons were replaced with a bigger calibre, together with other modern equipment like radars and advanced electronics. When the Soviets moved into Europe and the United States once again, the now rechristened Trident Battleships were used to defend the British Isles from the Soviet invasion in tandem with the Gladius Defense Network, keeping them safe for many more months. They gave the Allies a significant advantage over their enemies, and again have proven themselves as the timeless foundation of their navy's everlasting strength.
The Trident Battleship is one of the best ships for naval warfare due to its long range. They are primarily used for supporting Allied forces from both sea and land, while Enterprise Aircraft Carriers deal with fortified defenses. It is capable of dealing heavy damage to both ships and vehicles it hits. Their projectiles scatter around making them ideal for dealing high splash damage to any unit nearby. Being extremely heavily armored, they can take lots of punishment while dishing out even more damage in return.
Although Trident Battleships cannot fire on submerged units by default, this can be circumvented with the help of force-firing (default control is ctrl+left mouse button) into waters suspected of harboring undersea threats. If a submerged unit is forced to surface, they will be able to attack them by default.
Unfortunately, they aren't effective against structures and infantry, which necessitates escorts that are able to deal with such targets. Their projectiles are inaccurate against fast units. They also vulnerable to anti-ship weapons, submarines and aircraft, especially if they attack inside its minimum range. They are more expensive than Enterprises and the slowest ship in the game.
Enterprises controlled by the AI have the following attack patterns:
- 1x targeting everything, accompanied by 2 Horizon Destroyers and 1 Enterprise Aircraft Carrier
|“||One nil to the England!||”|
|—A Trident Battleship during Operation: Sunlight|
- Trident Battleships make their debut in Sunlight. Shortly after the mission begins, they'll arrive to aid the Allied forces and become buildable in the Naval Shipyard.
- Prior to Obstinate, PsiCorps has mind controlled four Trident Battleships. Initially they'll shell the city of Cannes until attacked, and their destruction is one of the mission objectives.
- Chronologically, the Trident Battleship is first controllable in Impersonal War, one will be given to the 1st player later in the mission.
- Prior to Balance of Power, four Trident Battleships docked in Bordeaux have been captured by the Soviets. After the player on the 1st starting position repairs the broken bridge connecting to their partner and the ensuing Soviet onslaught is repelled, both players will be tasked with reclaiming the Battleships by destroying all Soviet forces around them, at which point the Battleships will set sail to aid the Allies in the English Channel.
Behind the scenes
- In version 3.0, the Battleship was a campaign-only unit that is only available to use in Impersonal War and buildable in Sunlight.
- The Trident Battleship reuses the firing sound of the in .