|“||Valhalla shall stand!||”|
The Thor Gunship is a heavy attack/support gunship used by European Alliance. It can destroy enemies by generating lightning strikes out of nowhere and boost the defensive capabilities of friendly ground troops.
The Thor is the most impressive unit in the European arsenal. Created by a small, independent arms developer associated with Siegfried in the past, the Thor has become the flagship of the European armed forces, often seen on the battlefield where the European Alliance sets its military might on full display. Its on-board 'Mjölnir' conduction drones can be chronoshifted outside the Gunship at small ranges create lightning bolts out of thin air at the locations marked by the Thor with laser pointers. The bolts will then vaporize infantry and heavily damaging aircraft within a radius, while the drones instantly vanish.
The Gunship also acts as a command unit in the field, as it is authorized to order personnel on the ground to divert to defensive tactics for a limited time. This makes the Thor a welcome sight to all Allied forces, the mere sight of it enough to instill awe in any soldier.
The Thor Gunship is one of the Euro Alliance's Tier 3 units and is the only subfaction-exclusive Tier 3 aircraft of the Allies, equipped with a "Mjölnir" beacon and a loudspeaker. Squadrons of Thor Gunships can project a considerable amount of firepower against both ground and air targets, although the high cost makes it difficult to assemble sufficient scale of Thors quickly unless the player can amass plenty of resources and establish multiple War Factories to speed up production.
Their primary purpose is to act as a ground support unit and a heavy anti-air unit for Euro Alliance infantry and armor divisions. The lightning bolts it can generate are very effective against infantry units and adequate against lighter vehicles, but the damage dealt will be relatively insignificant against armored tanks and naval vessels. They will need to attack in larger numbers to be effective against structures also.
Despite its thick armor, Thor Gunships should try to avoid confrontation with strong anti-air units and anti-air base defenses as they also have slow speed. It is also worth noting that the deployed Thor Gunship can change the operational posture of nearby ground forces – slow down the pace and improve their defense capabilities. The commander of the Euro Alliance can use this to gain certain advantages in a defensive battle.
The AI does not use the Thor's deploy ability, so it uses an exclusive variant that lacks said ability to reflect this.
Thors controlled by the AI have the following attack patterns:
- 2x targeting infantry or vehicles
- 2x guarding Patriot Missiles or Prism Towers
- 2x targeting anything
|“||The Euro Alliance's Thor teleports drones that focus lightning strikes on enemy objects. Its pilots also have the authority to order nearby units to assume defensive positions.||”|
|—Allied intel during Operation: Sunlight|
- Thor Gunship first appears in Idle Gossip as an enemy.
- Thor Gunship is introduced and first buildable in Sunlight.
An armada of Thors often escort the Paradox Engine wherever it appears.
- In Withershins, Hamartia and Babel, Thors are equipped with the jamming technology from Black Widows, which increases their hit points to 1200 and resistance against Dybbuk-Interceptor attacks. Despite the visual effects, the Thor does not receive a direct armor boost this way.
- In the second phase of Reality Check, Libra can pick up conduction drones from several Thor wreckages scattered on the map.
- Due to the Allies lost large amount of tech after failing the Antarctic battle, Thor Gunship has been locked in The Remnant.
- Chronologically, 2 Thor Gunships can be first controllable by the 1st player in Attack on Buggy.
Behind the scenes
- The Thor Gunship's voiceover was originally recorded for a namesake in Atomic_Noodles's Colony Wars and offered to Mental Omega at a later point (alongside the voiceover which became the Speeder Trike's).
- Before it receives the current voiceover, the Thor Gunship used autocannons instead of the storm generator which are visible on the pre-v3.3.5 voxel artwork.
- In Norse mythology, Thor is a god associated with thunder, lightning, storms, strength and protection.
- Thor's hammer, Mjölnir, is also the name of the gunship's weapon.
- The Thor Gunship's design is based on the Dropship from Aliens.