Heaven's net is wide, but lets nothing through.
—Norio warns his enemies
After graduating from Waseda University, Tomokawa initially found employment as a police officer assigned to the Tokyo Metropolitan Police Department's Anti-Riot Squad division before joining the Japanese Rocketeer division. Due to outstanding acts of courage in the field, Norio quickly rose through the ranks, eventually being selected as the prime candidate for the Pacific Front's latest developments in armored flight suits.
Norio uses the "Garuda" power armor of which only a few were made. Capable of flying at incredible speeds, Norio is well-equipped to deal with air and ground threats, freezing enemy infantry with a built-in cryo rifle and destroying enemy armor and aircraft with a burst of guided missiles. The suit also allows Norio to resist an amazing amount of anti-aircraft fire, though concentrated fire will eventually overwhelm him.
Beware, the sun rises!
—Norio on the offensive
Norio is basically a much more powerful Rocketeer. Norio is the fastest unit in the game. His speed is his major advantage as he can perform hit and run with his 'Garuda' power armor. His main weapon is a cryo beam which can freeze and slow any infantry making him a decent anti-infantry unit. His second weapon is a MLRS which allows him to deal high damage not only to buildings and vehicles but aerial units as well.
Thanks to this flexibility and speed, Norio can be a force to be reckoned with. Despite that, Norio is not invincible. While he can absorb a decent amount of damage, he can't last too long against heavy anti air unit and defense. While he is decent against buildings, he can't out-range AA defences.
- In Unshakeable, some time after the Tech Center is infiltrated, Norio will start to send warnings to the Soviet General, before taking temporal joint action with Russians when they reach the Seismic Stabilizer. He can die without compromising the mission.
- In Stormbringer, Norio alongside Siegfried help protect the first Weather Controller and later help clear the Virgin Islands of the PsiCorps' presence. Both heroes can die without compromising the mission.
- Norio accompanies Tanya in Paranoia to neutralise two Epsilon Tactical Nuke Silos and a Psychic Amplifier in that order to keep the Weather Controller and the Paradox Engine safe. Both heroes must destroy the Nuke Silos within 30 seconds of each other and survive throughout the mission.
- In Insomnia, Norio will arrive just before the Paradox Engine does and falls under control of the player; he's the last of the three Allied heroes to arrive. If he dies, he'll be warped back to the Paradox Engine and returned to the battlefield after a few minutes. After Epsilon forces are destroyed and the Paradox Engine heads further south, Norio will volunteer to intercept the Epsilon forces currently being recalled to Antarctica from the rest of the Southern Hemisphere, and is seen fighting off a group of mind-controlled Wolfhounds and Seawolves.
- He is a direct reference to the Japanese voice actor Norio Wakamoto: his last name is a simple reversal of "Wakamoto" and his voice and background closely resemble that of Wakamoto's.
- Norio is the only Allied hero that is not available in the Infantry Only game mode.
- Norio is the only hero unit that does not have specific panic quotes when he comes under intense fire.
- ↑ Despite of being written in Chinese hanzi, the rendering is correctly pronounced as "Tomokawa Norio" in Japanese kanji.