The Mercury Network Uplink establishes a connection with the network of Mercury Satellites that orbits the Earth. This allows an American commander to fire its powerful laser beam anywhere on the battlefield without requiring the use of ground-based designator units like the Athena. Additionally, the Mercury Network Uplink acts as the technology expander for the United States, unlocking additional weapons and further options in the tech tree.
For a detailed list of changes from the original game, click here.
The construction of the Mercury Network Uplink grants the United States commander access to the following support powers:
|The Mercury Strike fires a laser beam from a Mercury satellite in space that is particularly effective against infantry and light vehicles, though less so against heavier targets. Nearby Athena Cannons gain a damage boost to their weapons after the strike. Mercury Strike costs $800 and takes 6:00 to recharge.|
|The Target Painter calls a Mercury satellite to "paint" enemies in a target area, improving Allied units' accuracy when targeting "painted" enemies, temporarily making them more vulnerable to attacks. Target Painter has no cost but takes 4:30 to recharge.|
It's important to note that this building not only provides access to Tier 2 units, but provides United States specific Tier 3 units with the Tech Center, sans the Spy, Barracuda and Cryocopter. This means that just like the Tech Center, it's imperative that US commanders protect this building after its construction as they will lose almost all their unique units and the majority of their advanced tech, especially since this building has less overall health than its Tier three counterpart.
- The Mercury Network Uplink held by Pacific Front is the target of Death From Above and must be destroyed by the player-controlled Latin Confederation. It is significantly more durable than normal Mercury Uplinks, capable of surviving a direct Tactical Nuke.
- The Mercury Network Uplink becomes buildable in the Covert Ops mission Obstinate. In this mission, it unlocks the Prism Tank (in place of the Shield Command), but doesn't grant access to Mercury Strike, Target Painter or the Athena Cannon.
- The Mercury Network Uplink becomes fully operational in Ghost Hunt.
Behind the scenes
- In version 3.0, the Mercury Uplink was a supplementary superweapon of the United States, unlocked by the Tech Center and limited to one per player, while the American Strategy Center served as the US exclusive support power structure like other two.
- When a Mercury Strike launches, the owner's Network Uplink will display a red laser circle anim effect on the radar top.