|“||Our might will reach the heavens.||”|
The Grumble is a Soviet stolen tech unit acquired by infiltrating an Allied Tech Center and Construction Yard. Arguably one of the most powerful anti-air weapons in the war, it can easily bring down enemy aircraft in its way.
However, one has to take note that the Grumble must be deployed first before it can fire and it cannot attack aircraft that fly too close.
The Grumble is the Soviet response to the continuously expanding Allied air force, available once the Allied jet engine technology has been carefully researched by Soviet spies. With a set of massive rocket launchers, the Grumble is capable of eliminating any type of aircraft at great ranges when deployed.
The Grumble has no means of defending itself against ground targets, so it requires support from other units. It also has a Minimum Range that the enemy aircraft can approach and stay safe in, so remember to create your Grumble defense line wisely, and don't leave any "dead zones".
Being the most powerful anti-air unit in the game, the Grumble's construction prerequisites are correspondingly demanding. The Soviet commander must let their Saboteurs infiltrate an enemy Allied Construction Yard and Tech Center. However, it is worth noting that once a Grumble is built, it isn’t able to fire upon aircraft immediately. The Soviet commander should move it to a good spot (and the expanded Grumble occupies two grid spaces) so it can use its air defense capabilities. Once deployed, however, don’t expect any kind of aircraft to get past them; not even the Wings of Coronia’s powerful aircraft can hope to evade their range.
The Grumble's missiles can destroy a heavy aircraft with just two hits, but can be outrun and outmanoeuvred by especially fast aircraft like Hummingbirds. In additon, it cannot target aircraft that fly directly above the Grumble itself (considering they can actually do that), and is harmless against ground units. If a defenseless Grumble is attacked by an anti-armor unit, it is quite difficult to transfer it to a safe area in time because of its slow speed. Due to this weakness, Grumbles are generally used for base defense.
|“||We've reacquired specs for the Grumble anti-aircraft systems from this outpost. Yuri wanted them to protect himself, but now we'll use them against his air force.||”|
|—Soviet intel during Operation: Fatal Impact|
- One Grumble, not yet functional, appears at the bottom right corner of the map in The Conqueror.
- In Fatal Impact, Volkov is instructed to establish contact with four Grumbles on the top edge of the map. When approached, they'll fall under the player's control. More Grumbles will appear to assist Reznov's task force later.
- In Death's Hand, the player can build Grumbles after constructing an Industrial Plant.
- In the Revolution Challenge, the enemy bases are protected by a limited number of Grumbles.
- The Grumble is based upon the real-life S-300 (SA-10 "Grumble") heavy surface-to-air missile launcher that was used by the Soviet Union.
Other Soviet stolen tech units: