Giant Squids (Architeuthis dux) are large sea animals used by the Epsilon as naval attackers.
Legendary among seamen for their size and strength, Giant Squids have been the subject of sea monster stories the world over. Only recently have live specimens been discovered. Whether through genetic cloning and mind control or by actually training the beasts, Giant Squids make up a special division in Epsilon's naval forces. Used for reconnaissance and smashing ships with their tentacles, they are ideal for hunting submerged enemies as they swim deep beneath the waves.
For a detailed list of changes from the original game, click here.
While the role of the Giant Squid remains the same in Mental Omega, the biggest change it received was losing the ability to grapple ships (though their tentacle attacks fulfill a similar purpose since they now immobilize their targets), which makes it possible to kill Giant Squids while they are attacking naval vessels without any special assistance required, aside from the usual submerged detection. However, this weakness is somewhat negated by the lower tier requirement (from Tier 3 to Tier 2), slightly cheaper cost (from $1000 to $800) and most importantly, Giant Squids are now capable of attacking Naval Shipyards and ships without revealing themselves.
On the upside, the lack of entanglement means that the Giant Squid can assist the slower Epsilon mind controllers (particularly the Epsilon Elite) in seizing control of fast amphibious targets without destroying them in the process, or assist the rest of the Epsilon navy by keeping amphibious nuisances at bay or immobilize enemies for Piranhas and Nautiluses to catch up. Another benefit to note is that the Giant Squid can now fulfill the role as a standard ship/shipyard destroyer instead of a specialized purpose that is less visible to enemies compared to Piranhas.
|“||Yuri's PsiCorps has deployed a team of Giant Squids, now arriving north of Niihau Island. These heavily mutated sea creatures can catch, immobilize and tear enemy ships apart.||”|
|—Soviet intel during Operation: Death From Above|
- The Giant Squid is first trainable from Allied Naval Shipyard in Shipwrecked, requires Air Force Command Headquarters. Notably, this is the only Act 1 Epsilon mission where Giant Squids are available.
- In Beautiful Mind, the Soviets start using Giant Squids.
- In Ravages of War, Lights Out, Thunder God and Death From Above, Giant Squids are trained from the Soviet Naval Shipyard, requiring a Radar Dish.
- In Unshakeable, the player is given two Giant Squids after the Tech Center is infiltrated, but cannot build more since shipyards are disabled.
- A few minutes into Dragonstorm, access to Giant Squid along with the rest of PsiCorps technology will be lost.
- in the