|—A Future Tank X-0 in battle|
The Future Tank X-0 is the prototype of an Allied heavy robotic tank.
The Allies have always lacked truly powerful, heavily armored vehicles that were also capable of resisting Yuri's mind control. So Japan's most advanced weapon manufacturer Kanegawa Industries was contracted to build the perfect anti-armor tank[note 1]. A tank that could dish out massive punishment, and take it just as easily. What they came up with, was the Future Tank X-0, a completely robotic, autonomous tank, armored with the thickest of alloys, yet still being maneuverable enough to reach reasonable speeds.
Two powerful burst-fire beam cannons allow the Future Tank to cut through almost all armor with no difficulty. In short, the X-0 is a marvel of engineering. Although powerful, the Future Tank is ill-equipped to combat infantry forces [note 2].Due to its prototypical nature and high production costs, the X-0 is only available to Allied commanders under special circumstances.
While normally unavailable in the current build of Mental Omega aside from very special circumstances (see the Appearances section below), Future Tanks X-0 are powerful forces of destruction that will decimate armored squads with its Laser Beam Cannons rapidly and destroy structures if guaranteeing their quantity. In addition, Future Tanks X-0 possess slightly higher speeds in contrast to other tanks in the game, which allows them to employ ambushes and hit-and-run tactics.
As they are unmanned tanks (actually, drones), they have inherent immunity from mind control, poison, and radiation. They are still vulnerable to EMP and magnetic weaponry though, and concentrated anti-armor fire will still pose a threat to these killing automatons. Aircraft is another danger they should avoid if they do not have anti-air units accompanying them, as they cannot retaliate against them.
- In Eclipse, the player's Chinese forces are attacking a Future Tank manufacturing complex. The Future Tanks X-0 will continually spawn from three dark-sky-colored enemy War Factories. There are also 6 inactive Future Tanks in the player's initial outpost and 3 near the top right corner. This mission has a series of bonus objectives which allow the player to take control of all Future Tanks on the map (see here for details).
- In Split Seconds, enemy Future Tanks X-0 appear in the ranks of the Pacific Front.
- In Unshakeable, there are 15 inactive Future Tanks X-0 near the Kanegawa Assembly building. They can be captured by Russian Engineers against the Sino-Japanese enemies.
- In Tainted Empire, the Future Tank X-0 can be built from the Allied War Factory once the initial Chinese attack is repelled and the player takes control over the whole base around the Adapted Tech Center. More of them are also given as reinforcements alongside Hailstorms once both Psychic Beacons are destroyed.
- In The Great Beyond, Future Tanks X-0 can be built by the player if the Pacific Front arsenal is chosen.
- Another subroutine AI will take command of a force of Future Tanks X-0 to assault the Epsilon stronghold in Vanishing Point, but they are otherwise not available to the player.
- Future Tanks X-0 are available for construction by the main defending force in The Remnant.
- In Rush Tactics, a limited number of Future Tanks X-0 appear as part of the enemy Pacific Front forces, guarding the Hailstorm convoy.
Behind the scenes
- Allied Construction Yard and Tech Center. With the revamp of the stolen tech system in 3.3, the Future Tank X-0 was replaced by the Quickshifter, although it still appears in the campaign. Its successor, the Future Tank Alpha, was also introduced in 3.3 as an Allied stolen tech unit unlocked by infiltrating a Foehn Cloud Piercer.
- The voxel of the Future Tank X-0 (named Cyclops) is a public asset and can be used by other modders. The link can be found here.
- Contrary to the old official description, the original designers of the Future Tank in the current lore are the Americans, while the Pacific Front only stole its blueprints.
- This is no longer true as of version 3.3.6, as its main weapons have been modified to be decent against infantry targets.