Future Tank operational.
—Future Tank Alpha
The Future Tank Alpha is an Allied stolen tech unit acquired by infiltrating a Foehn Cloud Piercer and Construction Yard. A successor to the ill-fated Future Tank X-0, it boasts considerably improved firepower and durability than its predecessor.
After losing a significant amount of the Future Tank X-0 prototypes during the Okawa Falls incident, Kanegawa Industries continued their work on a fully automated battle tank at several different locations around Japan, which had not yet been stormed by the Chinese forces at that time.
However, even the remaining facilities were eventually forced to shut down, as the Soviets won the war, and China took control of the remaining Seismic Stabilizers in the country. The executives of KI decided to cease their plans for mass production of the then proposed X-1 prototype, and destroy all data related to the vehicles, when they realized that they were soon going to be overwhelmed by the invaders.
Luckily, some of the newer units from the Future Tank Project have been preserved by those, who decided to escape the Chinese clutches, and later enhanced with the advanced tech they managed to develop in isolation. The Alpha version of the Future Tank can switch between two weapon sets: highly damaging lasers combined with HE grenade launchers, and a powerful particle collider cannon.
The Future Tank Alpha is accessible to the Allies once their spies are able to infiltrate and steal the necessary technologies from a Foehn Cloud Piercer and Construction Yard. This hulking automaton provides the Allied Forces with the ultimate heavy tank to go toe-to-toe against their adversaries on more or less equal footing, as their own Tier 3 Monster Tanks are usually not suited for direct engagements with the other factions' counterparts. It is essentially an improved variant of the X-0 as it comes with better armor and weapons.
Equipped with a pair of Experimental Beam Cannons and High-Explosive Grenades, small divisions of these robotic tanks can lay waste to columns of enemy armor and squads of infantry with alarming ease. If that wasn't enough, it can also be ordered to fire a Particle Collider (similar to the ones used by Harbingers) to deal heavy damage to all ground-based targets. In addition, it comes with the ability to detect cloaked quarries and being a robotic unit, it is immune to almost all known battlefield hazards.
While boasting an impressive arsenal and levels of protection to battle all other monster tanks on equal terms, the Future Tank Alpha is still poorly suited for base attacks as its Experimental Beam Cannons are not effective against structures and base defenses unless they assault enemy positions in large groups. Being an advanced prototype, it also appears to use its weapons erratically, as while it will use the Experimental Beam Cannons as its primary weapon, it will use its other weapons at randomized intervals. Coming with a hefty price tag of $2000 and being only available after the infiltration of a Foehn Cloud Piercer and Construction Yard, they are seldom accessible to Allied commanders.
The Future Tank Alpha follows a constant cycle when firing its weapons in the experimental beams/HE grenades mode. It always starts from the beams after ceasing fire.
- Stage 1: Lasts until 360 frames (24 in-game seconds). In other words, the Future Tank Alpha will attack four times with its experimental beam cannons.
- Stage 2: Lasts until 550 frames (36.7 in-game seconds). In other words, the Future Tank Alpha will launch 38 instances of HE grenades. Once Stage 2 ends, the cycle repeats.
- In Tainted Empire, four Future Tanks Alpha can be found west of the Adapted Tech Center, near the Tech Nuclear Plant and Wind Plant. They are initially inactive and will fall under control of the player once all four Radar Domes around the map are captured, as they stored access codes to these prototypes. One of these Radar Domes is located near the centre of the map; the others are found on the top, right and bottom edges. They are not equipped with particle collider cannons as the tech is still under research.
- Two subroutine-AI-controlled Future Tanks Alpha appear in the main base in The Great Beyond.
- In the Regenbogen Challenge, Pacific Front's Future Tanks Alpha will be chronoshifted to the island when the battlefield turns to purple light.
Behind the scenes
- This unit was named Future Tank X-2 when it was first revealed.
- Albeit AI-controlled, Future Tank Alpha can be abducted by Chrono Prisons.