The Field Bureau is an essential structure for the Soviets, which grants access to more basic technologies and allows them to create Battle Bunkers anywhere on the battlefield and deploy a Drakuv Prison Vehicle after Radar Dish is built. It also holds abducted enemy infantry in captive and allows the Soviet commander to train them at their Barracks.
The Field Bureau is an important Soviet intelligence building on the battlefield. Construction of this structure marks the first step of a local technology advancement for basic weapon branches. But the most important feature of these is the capability to imprison and research the weapons of the enemies.
Using the Drakuv Prison Vehicle, which can be deployed from a Field Bureau once a Radar Dish is constructed for additional intel gathering, it is possible to capture enemy soldiers and move them into this building in order to analyze the weapons and equipment they are using. Afterwards, these soldiers can be trained by the owner of the Field Bureau which has taken the prisoner in. Keep in mind, that if an enemy infiltrator enters this building, all data regarding the captured technology will be lost.
The Field Bureau is not a necessary part of unlocking advanced tech access buildings, it is only used to unlock some elementary equipment, provide some support powers and the ability to recycle tech access of infantry who have been sent in. Therefore, the commander can decide when to build the Field Bureau to develop the small-scale branch line technology provided by it according to the different battlefield conditions. Although the infiltration of espionage units into the Field Bureau will not reset the countdown of the support powers provided by it, the recovered infantry technology will be cleared out. Therefore, the more tech types a commander has been recycles, the more important for the commander to protect the Field Bureau from infiltration. Building as many Field Bureaus as possible can also facilitate the deployment of Drakuv Prison Vehicles in more locations.
The Field Bureau grants access to the following support powers:
|Type: Defensive Power|
Recharge Time: 5:30
|Type: Reinforcement Power|
Recharge Time: 6:00
Requires Radar Dish
Deploy a Drakuv Prison Vehicle near a Field Bureau
In order for a general to exploit the utility of the Field Bureau, he must first deploy the Drakuv once it is ready for deployment. Next, he must capture the infantry he wishes to train using these Drakuvs (the infantry need to be weakened first however). While the converted "victim" can be ordered to the front lines against his/her former allegiances, they can also be ordered to enter the Field Bureau, effectively granting access to train said infantry, without tech restrictions from the commander. Good candidates for conversion include Field Medics, Snipers/Viruses (since the Soviets lack any long-range anti-infantry except Morales), and Knightframes.
The Field Bureau also has a prisoner trade aspect (it is simply "selling infantry" by ordering them to enter said building, with half of their worth acquired by the commander; even the commander's infantry could be imprisoned and sold) which is another option to consider when the commander has ran out of funds but has plenty of infantry.
However, not all infantry can be accessed after being put into the Field Bureau, the notable example being civilians. Also, should an enemy infiltrator enters the structure, all captured infantry data will be lost.
List of non-civilian and non-campaign infantries that cannot be reverse-engineered:
- All espionage infantry units
- All Tier 2 and Tier 3 Soviet infantry
- All heroes
- Scout Raven
- Libra Clone
- Bomb Pilot
- Transformed Foehn infantries
- Field Bureau first appears as a buildable structure in Bleed Red.
- In Blood Rage, one of the initial objectives is to infiltrate the Chinese Field Bureau. It will fall under control of the player (alongside the two Sentry Guns nearby, if they have not been previously destroyed), and must be defended for 8 minutes from Chinese attacks.
- In Cyberanatomy, the players need to let the Saboteur enter the enemy's Field Bureau to temporarily shut down all of their defenses, so the players' teams can enter their base.
Behind the scenes
- From version 3.3.0 to 3.3.4, the Field Bureau was Soviet's tier 2 access building, until Radar Dish is re-added. It was done due to complications with the radar in missions because Airfield which provides radar was unavailable to construction.
- Sometime during development for 3.3, the Field Bureau was going to be named as "Prison Facility" and was exclusive to the Latin Confederation.