|“|| Let's run some field tests!|
A project long delayed by the Kanegawa Industries, the Cryocopter is an unorthodox support aircraft capable of using a sophisticated cryobeam, which can draw out all heat in an object, turning it frozen-solid after a short while. The benefits of such effect on the battlefield are crystal clear: the object is put into a state of suspended animation, meaning it can no longer move or perform any actions as long as a Cryocopter has its cryobeam directed at them.
Additionally, the cryobeam increases the fragility of the affected targets, making them extremely vulnerable to even the weakest of firearms. Even the largest of buildings or the strongest of tanks will be quickly shattered into pieces if fired at while frozen by a Cryocopter. Commander should note the Cryocopters has no other weapons of its own to fend off enemy units, especially if outnumbered.
OverviewThe primary function of the Cryocopter is to hamper major threats or neutralize critical structures by slowly freezing them. When a target is frozen, the target ceases to function. At the same time, the target becomes extremely fragile and vulnerable to attacks. When the target is frozen, combat units are expected to deliver the final blow, because the Cryocopter cannot directly harm any target on its own.
When used defensively, the Cryocopter can be a great way to neutralize artillery units before they are able to reach and destroy the commander's base defenses. Offensively, it can disable defensive structures and production facilities, facilitating the siege of an enemy base. It can also indirectly kill some amphibious vehicles by fully freezing and sinking them when they are over water. Some examples are Kappa Tank, Repair Drone, Magnetron, amphibious transports.
It is worth noting that multiple cryobeams brought to bear on the same individual target will not improve the freezing rate. Freezing a target however is tedious because it takes time and requires constant channeling of the cryobeam. When the beam stops attacking the target, the effects of freezing are quickly worn off.
There are a total of 6 freezing stages before the target of the Cryocopter is completely frozen. As each stage progresses, the armor of the unit/building is slowly reduced. Speed is also reduced to zero in the case of units. Timings are based from in-game seconds, not real-time.
- Stage 1 = Lasts until 100 frames or ~7 seconds (0.8x armor or -20% armor)
- Stage 2 = Lasts until 150 frames or 10 seconds (0.7x armor or -30% armor)
- Stage 3 = Lasts until 200 frames or ~13 seconds (0.6x armor or -40% armor, 0.8x speed or -20% speed for mechanical units, infantry unable to move starting at this stage)
- Stage 4 = Lasts until 250 frames ~17 seconds (0.5x armor or -50% armor, 0.6x speed or -40% speed for mechanical units, infantry unable to move)
- Stage 5 = Lasts until 400 frames or ~27 seconds (0.3x armor or -70% armor, infantry/mechanical units unable to move)
- Stage 6 = Once it reaches 600 frames (or 40 in-game seconds) the firing timer will stop increasing. Lasts indefinitely until ordered elsewhere or target is destroyed. (0.05x armor or -95% armor, target unable to act at all)
- The Cryocopters are deployed firstly in Hysteria, required to freeze enemy coastguards.
- The Cryocopter is based from the unit with the same name in Red Alert 3, but without the "shrink beam".
- Official showcase of the Cryocopter prior to official release of version 3.3, along with other units