Challenges are a special player-versus-AI skirmish game mode introduced in version 3.3.
Challenges pits one or two players (either one human and one AI or two humans) alone against three AI enemies that start with a large base and violate certain rules of the game (most often capable of building stolen tech units). Challenge maps are made with an "uncontrolled difficulty mindset" so the gameplay will be asymmetrical.
Challenge maps use standard skirmish settings, which allows the handicap to be changed through the difficulty option and for the Mental AI Boost to be enabled. However, note that the following settings are enforced by the client:
- Building off ally bases, naval combat (if the map has enough water) and Stolen Tech Units are enabled.
- Ally Change Ingame is disabled.
- The number of starting units is set at zero.
- If the enemy in a challenge is a specific subfaction, that subfaction cannot be chosen by players.
- The colour used by the enemy is not selectable by players.
- Spectators are not allowed.
List of Challenges
- Main article: Freedom Challenge
An unusually large activity of American cargo planes is noted far away in the Alaska, where a massive airbase of their's is believed to exist. What's even more worrying are the Mercury Satellite coordinates seemingly set to that place
- Main article: Timekiller Challenge
Danger! The Euro Alliance commanders are using strange technology based on the Chronosphere, which allows them to move their soldiers and vehicles at incredibly high speeds. They also seem to possess a prototype of the teleporting tank.
- Main article: Regenbogen Challenge
An unusual weather manipulation technology has been deployed by the Pacific Front on the Regenbogen artificial island, a technology which alters the status of the battlefield in many ways to disrupt the armies trying to conquer the isle.
- Main article: Battlecity Challenge
The fearsome Super Apocalypse Tanks have been deployed by the Russians once again? This time it appears there are no malfunctions in the monsters' control systems. However, they are still limited in numbers. Be on your guard.
- Main article: Moltencore Challenge
It's getting hot in here! Three Latin Confederation armies have landed near your position and are now surrounding your forces. It seems they are ready to burn the island to the ground if it's what they need to do to defeat you.
- Main article: Ironwall Challenge
The Great Wall wasn't built in a day. The Chinese forces have deployed their own advanced Iron Curtain tech, including the powerful Iron Dragon and even what looks like the Centurion. The Wall moves dangerously fast and it is up to you to stop it.
- Main article: Purgatory Challenge
Your forces have landed successfully on Yuri's island. Mysterious experiments are taking place here and the island's secrets are guarded by what appears to be stone statues, shaped after Yuri's own head. Keep your eyes open.
- Main article: Contagion Challenge
An unidentified, heavily contagious poison has been deployed by the Scorpion Cell in one of their bases in Africa. It appears it is being contained in fragile barrels scattered in a canyon controlled by many of their forces. Don't get infected.
- Main article: Ascension Challenge
The armies of Epsilon Headquarters are expanding their bases beyond Antarctica. Their superior genetically enhanced infantry is a threat to the entire world and to make things worse, there is an entire air armada coming to reinforce their positions.
- Main article: Madness Challenge
Haihead's forces have created two crucial routes from which they are sending their M.A.D.M.A.N. units in quite large amounts. These units are a threat and must be eliminated along with the bases that continue to summon them.
- Main article: Firestorm Challenge
The Wings of Coronia have deployed their forces in an abandoned metropolis and walled their outposts off with and extensive Blast Trench, powered by a modified Blast Furnace construction. Now, they're waiting for their enemies to arrive.
- Main article: Ouroboros Challenge
- Main article: Aberration Challenge
The Allies continue to push their research on chrono tech to its limits. By manipulating time, they have become capable of twisting the technological achievements of their opponents at will. The battlefield has become a maze of space and time.
- Main article: Revolution Challenge
Although often divided by many issues, the World Soviet Alliance has united once again and hid their bases within a massive fortress, determined to maintain the red. Anyone who comes near it will be struck by said red and the nuclear.
- Main article: Deception Challenge
Yuri's forces from all corners of the world are having a gathering on a remote and desolate island. They're masking their presence with heavy use of psychic illusion technology. To make things worse, a storm is brewing.
- Main article: Endurance Challenge
- Main article: Heavyobject Challenge
A combined force of three seemingly warring factions has constructed a complex stronghold with only one land entrance. They have deployed bizarre but sophisticated technologies and are not willing to let go of this resource-rich area easily.
- Main article: Watercube Challenge
In the ocean blue, an unknown renegade commander has gathered enough technology to construct three distinct naval bases of his own. There is also a dangerous Epsilon strike force lurking nearby and all you have is a tiny island.
- Main article: Gladiator Challenge
An unidentified hostile commander has combined the jamming technologies together to develop a massive system, which renders his opponents powerless. Fortunately for you, this system is still immature, so there's time to nip it in the bud.
- Main article: Superweapon Challenge
The horror! Three major powers united under a single flag have deployed all the superweapons: a Weather Controller, a Tactical Nuke Silo and a Psychic Dominator, and even hijacked the plans of Tempest Architect. T-t-time is running out!
- Main article: Heroslayer Challenge
The master of puppets has been up to some kind of mind control technology once again! There are brainwashed enemies at the gates: quick, versatile and dangerous. Beware - an army of deadly clones is aiding them in the battle for the desert.
- Main article: Judgement Challenge
- The Challenge mode is likely inspired by the Generals' Challenge in Generals Zero Hour and, to a lesser extent, the Commander's Challenge mode in Red Alert 3 Uprising.
- As of version 3.3.4, all 12 subfactions are featured in exactly one challenge that doesn't focus on a specific faction or subfaction.