I don't believe in non-lethal force.
—An unconvinced Abrams Tank driver firing its laser cannons
The Abrams Tank is the monster tank of the United States.
The Abrams Tank has been the pride of the American armored division for several years now. With its thick armor, powerful 125mm cannon, and high-tech targeting systems, it really packs a punch. The Abrams has the ability to go toe-to-toe with even the mightiest of heavy tanks. A competent commander can use the Abrams to easily out-range and out-maneuver his opponents. Due to advancements in laser technology, all Abrams models have been outfitted with dual "Saturn" laser weapons, effective against almost all infantry threats but also useful against other sorts of targets.
While not the strongest monster tank (it will often lose against most of its counterparts in a direct confrontation) the Abrams comes with the added benefit of being quite effective against infantry, being able to kill large groups of them using its Saturn laser cannons.
Though against tanks, not all is lost. The Abrams is one of the fastest monster tanks available and can out range most tanks. They are able to fire from stand-off distances outside of any faction's main battle tank - with careful usage on the American commander's part, Abrams Tanks can effectively destroy opposing armored forces without receiving any damage. This is achievable if the commander is using the Abrams carefully by kiting their enemies with them constantly.
The Abrams Tank is one of the less expensive Tier 3 tanks in the game. This advantage, coupled with its relatively decent firepower against most ground targets make it a potent unit for ground-based warfare when massed in divisions of five or more.
It is also effective against structures, though confrontations with heavy anti-vehicle base defenses such as Hammer Defenses should be avoided - such a role should be left to Athena Cannons and Barracudas.
- The Abrams first appears in Peacekeeper as an enemy (notwithstanding mind control) and Red Dawn Rising as a controllable unit, at the beginning of the Third Great War.
- In Idle Gossip, the player, acting as Soviet General, can get Abrams Tank reinforcement after established the base (amount varies with difficulty).
- In Death From Above, capturing the Tech Secret Lab in the main island gives the player access to Abrams Tank.
- Due to the Mercury Network Uplink is not a widespread American T2 access building during Act One, Abrams Tanks do not become buildable until Obstinate.
Behind the scenes
- In versions older than 3.0 the Abrams Tank used prism cannons instead of lasers as its secondary weapon.
- The Abrams Tank is a reference to real-life M1 Abrams main battle tank used by the U.S. Army.